Sunday, October 24, 2010

Not-So-Nice

It's nice, in a way, to be away from the entire world. Or as it were, from Facebook. 


Somewhere down the line I realize how truly addictive social networking sites really are and the amount of time that people (like me as well) spend on Facebook (or other sites) is startling. And startling is an understatement. I mean, that's how addictive it really is.


And yes, I did spend quite a bit of time on it (I don't know why) and I was/am addicted to it. The withdrawal symptoms are not pretty. Not at all.


I'm just trying to rationalize Facebook's action by believing that everything happens for a reason, and a good one at that. So albeit whatever that has happened, I'm trying my best to deal with it.


The benefits of not having it around are that I'm left with so much more time to get other things done, that I'm not on this superfluous network of people I barely know, that I'm away from people that I didn't want to be around but couldn't necessarily "un-friend", that I'm getting to reflect on what our socialization process has come to become (and it looks ghastly in my mind), etc etc.


However, I do miss catching up with friends and my social life has (tragically) come to quite a standstill. Like I said, it's nice in a way, but taking something away from me by force is a far from nice feeling.


And that's the not-so-nice bit about it.

2 comments: