Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dichotomies

The best thing about my work timing is the immense reduction of time spent traveling. Add almost zero traffic; empty roads; cold, fresh and pollution-less air; occasional races with trains on these empty roads (almost a non-existent scene in the city); a pinkish-purple dawn-stained sky; peace and calm. 


The bane of my work timing is the speed at which winter is fast approaching us. Couple that with the fact that I actually rise and get to work before the sun does (which is just not in the natural order of things!) and the fact that I have to get out of the warm and cozy burrow in my quilt and make a dash to switch the geyser on, pack my breakfast and lunch and stand in a zombie-like daze in front of my cupboard whilst ma and Sam are jolly-skipping away to glory in la-la-land! I can actually feel the sun become lazier, milder and slower. And because it's been pouring in Bangalore every day, the sun just got himself a big, fat, thick blanket!


But it's just that initial 5...ok make that 10, minutes of agony and mental lethargy that seem like an eternity's worth of hard work to just lug myself outta bed instead of turning over and hiding deeper inside the confines of my quilt, which are challenging. It's a smooth ride after that. 


I love the peace, calm, stillness and quiet that dawns are always synonymous with. I love the water-coloured sky. I love watching life slowly unfold for the new day with these tiny kinara tea shops bubbling their first batch of tea under one luminescent tube light while milk booths nearby are stacked with packets of Nandini milk. And there are people who actually have the will enough to wake up at that hour and exercise, wearing monkey caps if they have to. I love that I've finished quite a major chunk of my day before the rest of the office arrives. It makes me feel like I've done a lot and more. It's quiet, it's serene and the spaceship looks inviting. I love that I have enough and more time left once I leave work. 


So yes, while winter's fast approaching and making those first 10 minutes of my wakefulness seem like eternity's worth of effort, it's a small price I've to pay for the rest of the day and its offerings. Or so I hope. Because winter's jusssssssst making her presence felt. Just about.


Let's see how the see-saw goes.

4 comments:

  1. Loved it! I could picture everything :) :) I MISS IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe... Well, your winter's a different story altogether. Can't wait to hear about the first snowfall... :)

    ReplyDelete