Saturday, July 24, 2010

One step at a time.

My first step.
The first time I ate by myself.
The first time I packed my own bag.
The first time I carried my brother.
The first time I walked on stage.
The first time I did my homework by myself.
The first time I walked my dog.
The first time I spent my change saved in my piggy bank.
The first time I choose a gift.
The first time I got dressed by myself.
The first time I went to school alone.
The first time I sang in front of everybody.
The first time I apologized for my mistakes.
The first time I wrote an exam.
The first time I slept in my own room.
The first time I switched on the gas on my own.
The first time I made tea and cooked.
The first time I cried by myself.
The first time I dated.
The first time I traveled alone.
The first time I stayed a night out.
The first time I had a drink.
The first time I felt alone.
The first time I went on stage.
The first time I misbehaved.
The first time I drove a car.
The first time I got a job.
The first time I got my salary.
The first time I went on an excursion/trek/holiday with my friends.
The first time I decided what I wanted to study.
The first time I decided what I wanted to do.
The first time...


At first it was letting us go to take the first step. And it still continues to be that way. It still is about first steps. It's always been about first steps with parents. It's always about my self. It's always about taking a first step away; away from the comfort and safety I've known all along.

Except that it's not about being alone no matter how many first steps I take, away from their comfort and safety.

2 comments:

  1. :)

    I like the homework, switching on the gas and piggy bank first times the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) what are your favorite first times?

    ReplyDelete