Wednesday, October 12, 2011

More than just a need


I love going to new places. I love going back to places I've already visited. I love the concept of newness, of discovery, of learning and most of all, I love getting to know the feel of the place I visit. People think I travel a lot and perhaps I do, according to their almost nonexistent travel escapes. However, for a heart and soul that craves travel, I think I've barely seen all that's around for me to see.

I went to Wayanad (again!!) the past weekend. And as I wound my way past serpentine foresty roads through the Western Ghats, I wondered about the answer to a question that people ask quite often - are you a beach or a mountain person. And I'm still wondering. I haven't found the answer and maybe that's answer enough.

I love the mountains and everything they bring with them considering I make a visit to them at least twice a year. I love the ranges, the forests, the mist, the clouds so low you could walk through them, the freshness that their sweeping rain brings with them, their environment, their enigma, their absolute abundance...I love it all. I love their seasons. I love the season of fireflies where all you can see around you in the darkness are a million fireflies in unison. I love the season of butterflies that I hope to see very soon. I love fresh mountain brooks and waterfalls. I love what I see when I look up at the sky - stardust. And I am not kidding you. I love the feeling of standing at a peak and looking at the sheer vastness around. Like I just said, I love it all.

And when it comes to the sea, I'm at a loss for words. Maybe that's why people actually become so philosophical when they're by the sea. I think it's got more to do with the sea than the beer. The sea, the overwhelming sea... its expanse, its power, its glory, its strength, its peace, its vastness, its beauty. I do remember mentioning how scared I am of water but the sea's where I could just be at. Ironic. I love watching the waves and cannot help marvel at the game the moon and earth play and if they ever get tired and think of taking a break. I love how welcoming the sea can look, how blatant and outright it is in its demeanor. I love how it allows me to be. I love how it speaks to me and how it's meant to just let go at... I love it.

Whenever I get asked this question, I'm always reminded of how I never really have an answer. How I always get lost in my silence trying to weigh the two out and never really succeeding. I realize I give travel and places I travel to so much meaning. Where I go means something to me. And what I do makes sense to me. And it speaks to me. It's like poetry to me. I'll never have enough words and my poems will always remain incomplete because I cannot have enough. Enough seems like such a redundant word; absolutely meaningless.


The Western Ghats as seen from Wayanad


The view on my trek through the mountains in Wayanad.


Quintessentially Goa.

How do you expect me to decide and have an answer? I think I have more than just a need to travel. I think it's got to do simply do with the fact that I love traveling.

All photographs are © Babushka Chauhan.

- 13/08/11

No comments:

Post a Comment