Sunday, October 23, 2011

Fancy designations

What use is an M.D, PhD., Scientist, JRF fellow, PsyD., etc, etc, etc if you:

a) have forgotten where you came from
b) have your head so high up in the clouds that you can't see the world you live in
c) don't care whose face you throw shit on
d) forget about the basics that got you to where you are today
e) don't practice what you preach
f) if you ultimately let something as stupid as your bloated ego flush your credibility and humility down the drain
g) don't like where you're at
h) got those titles because it just looks good

The point I'm trying to make here is something that's been needling my brain for a while now. It's pushed me to such a place where I've questioned the foundations that I presently stand on. It's something that pushed me off the edge and made me lose faith. And lose faith I did. Massively. 

I come from an academic background. Learning makes sense to me. It comes effortlessly. It makes me feel complete. It makes me feel like I've never felt before, to put it very simply. However, it is this same field that made me feel like a pariah in an instant. And I've been feeling this way ever since.

And pariah I felt because I chose to walk away. And it isn't even about rebelling. It's about being true to who I think I am and not getting sucked into the filthy vortex that the world of academicians presently is. I despise the vast lack of honesty, transparency, humility, not to forget the abundance of hypocrisy that floats all around. 

I cannot understand, forget deal with, people who build their pedestals on the fear they've generated in others; either by walking all over them or using them till they surrender. That's what that designation stands for today - fear and power, not learning and imparting knowledge. I cannot stomach these huge fat degree holders who think they're the be all and end all of man's potential. 

And it saddens me to think that I know barely a few who stand on their laurels for who they are and what they do amongst these million other degree holders. I can think of only a few who practice what they preach, who apply their learnings to their life as well and who know where they came from. 


A real teacher gets respect not for how well she/he can blackmail a class. A revered PhD. holder is looked up to not for the Dr. before his/her name but for their ability to help a student create their learning space and mould them as and when required! A true counselor is revered not for how many clients they see but for how well they can apply and understand what the hell they ask their clients to do, to their own life. A lover of psychology is not one who brags about their book knowledge but lives by the insight they get from actually interacting with people the way they are supposed to! 

For the rest, well, they're just a bunch of rats running a race that probably has little or no meaning to them; or so it comes across to be. Because there's no point in climbing something that's just another ladder when it should in-fact be that one-in-a-million ladder that you should actually be aiming for - irrespective of where you're heading. 

And I'm going to keep bringing these issues up because it matters to me. Because I believe in where I came from. Because what I do matters a great deal to me. Because I have dreams. Because I'm tired of this redundant system. Because going along with shit is not my style. And because I'm opinionated and will opine. As much as I possibly can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment