Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Firsts....

There are many firsts I would like to talk about. And there are of course many firsts that I will not forget. But one first I want to talk about and will not forget is this:

Today was the first time I felt proud about India's global state of affairs.
Today was the first time I felt nice about India's shame as a country. And why? Because of the Commonwealth Games that are about to ensue.

So yes, we've had our Kalmadis and various other "officials" run the show and we've had our infrastructural zeniths with those innumerable stadiums and villages that suddenly sprung up from nowhere since the entire show began, but that apparently, was just the beginning.

Keeping aside the fact that our government does what it lives for-corruption, the state of affairs this entire show has highlighted is nothing but a complete and utter mess.

Yes, our taxes and the country's loans did get "misappropriated", yes New Delhi is almost on the verge of a massive flood, yes India is under threat from 347689336353820 and counting terrorist outfits, yes the so-called games village has dengue stamped all over it and yes of course the infrastructure has words like "messy" and "dangerous" flash in our mind...but so what? This is how we are. No?

So yesterday, when the bridge at the entrance of the main venue fell down (and injured/killed x number of people, not that anyone's bothered), I chose to feel disgusted first, and then proud. Why might you ask?

I felt proud (we'll leave the disgust out) because for once, I refused to stand up and feel this whole magic we call Indian-ness, covering up people's misdeeds in the process. For once I would like to believe that I have nothing to do with this government even though it is "mine". For once I'm happy that India has no face left to show the world when it comes to sports at least. I am elated.

And I feel elated because karma bit those where it hurt the most. Corrupt officials and our slack government just got what they should've got a long time ago.

Yes, the blame game must've begun even before anything else would've begun, and the wheel keeps turning but that's a jolt in their ride that no one will forget.

I'm still elated. And I will be for sometime at least.

1 comment:

  1. 'Yes, the blame game must've begun even before anything else would've begun, and the wheel keeps turning but that's a jolt in their ride that no one will forget.'

    Well said :)

    ReplyDelete