Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Snipping it

Cutting off is such a strong act. It involves great amounts of resilience, courage and strength; I'd like to believe. It does take a lot to cut the cord. It takes more than intense emotions to get one going in that direction - it takes a seedling germinating within which grows stronger with time -  strong enough to push you off the edge and then, stable enough to help you get back on whenever you want to. Isn't that what happens, if and when it does? People who cut off, come back. Sometimes. I don't know if that's fortunate or not. That depends on how you take it. I'm here to write about cutting-off. 

Cutting off is supposed to be everything I just mentioned in the first two lines, and more. And I also mentioned how I'd like to believe it was all that simply because it's something I find very difficult to believe in. It isn't my style. Cutting off to me means that you shut that component of your being, out. Completely. Snip. Or smash. Whichever you prefer. How do people do it? How do you shut what was important in one go? How do you eradicate everything else the concerned relationship brought along with them - family, associations, and worst of all, memories? How does something go from being so precious to being nothing? You do kill it because eventually, everything ceases to be in the spotlight. What was once important, isn't anymore. How do people do that? How is it so resilient, brave and courageous to just walk away? How is it not painful to a numbing extent when you stab that part within yourself? 

I've experienced being cut-off by. It's the most traumatic experience one can ever go through. And no, I'm not here to project a sense of victimization as much as I am here to question what holds relationships, really, because if it is so easy to walk away in a second, then I wonder what relationships are really worth. People cut off for various reasons, sometimes it is necessary, sometimes it is the best way out, sometimes it is done in the best interest of the other (or the self), sometimes it is done because things just stop making sense, etc etc. How much is ever enough and who gets to decide? 

I'm sure people have their legitimate reasons. I just can't figure who gets to decide how legitimate those reasons really are...and why. And people come back with the same 'ease' with which they left. Maybe you get closure in whichever manner comes your way. Maybe you still have loose ends. Maybe you've found something better. Who knows? There's never any certainty when it comes to relationships or when it comes to your need to survive the tumult that you put yourself through. There's a point after which breathing becomes labored, where going through every day with that one person doesn't hold much water anymore. There will always be this need for self-preservation. The self before everyone else. 

Maybe that's what makes it so effortless. Because I've begun to realize from the realities around me that nothing, and I mean nothing and no one stands taller than their own self. And we'll do anything to keep it that way. Relationships don't ever stand a chance if you don't stand a chance yourself.

Life has its own way of speaking to you. It's how you choose to listen and take it forward. Cutting-off just becomes the wild card you use when you never ever thought you'd use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment