Friday, July 27, 2012

327

I don't know what it takes for a man to just let a woman be.
I don't know if it really has anything to do with the way she dresses or what she chooses to dress herself in.
I don't know whether it's because he's generally unhappy in life or is always a pervert.
I don't know whether it's because that woman reminds him of someone or if she's just another piece of eye candy.
I don't know.


I despise sexist extremism, feminism and chauvinism. I despise it all. I don't believe in male/female bashing. I don't engage in any of it and neither do I entertain it.


But today's had me feeling so angry, upset and annoyed all in one because for the first time, I actually felt like my space as a woman was being trampled upon. I'm extremely territorial about my space and even though I'm patient with the occasional trespasser, I'm not so passive or unforgiving to those who know better and still push their way in. 


Today made me realize that it really doesn't have to do with the clothes you wear or how thin/fat, ugly/hot you look or feel. It goes beyond acne, bad hair days, bad presentation and whatever else it is that strikes a man's fancy in a woman. Stared, leched at, you anyway will. It's like it's already been decided by shit knows who that some men out there have no other business but to stick their sick eyeballs where they don't belong. 


It's one thing to look at someone and check them out. We all do it. It's another to stare, and evidently so. I figured that everyone makes such a huge deal about dress-codes for the 'safety' of women. I don't think it matters. Lechers will exist and will lech and will go about their business. The world will still go its way, we will still feel encroached upon.


We know what it feels like when a man stares at our chest or when we're stared at as we run or when all we get during a conversation is a man staring at our lips, or better still, our chest. Have someone leer in your face at your filthy crotch and you still probably won't get it. It's just a matter of time before someone punches you, in your face, or better still, kicks you right where it burns most. In your face.


We'll talk about safety then.

2 comments:

  1. Does that even matter? Stupid men! And I wonder if they're even aware of what they're doing or how uncomfortable it makes the entire situation.

    Ugh!

    ReplyDelete