Friday, March 16, 2012

Growing Up

It's not like I decided to grow up. It just happens and sometimes it's not even in our control. I realized that the damage has been done irrevocably because today, I attend to things I never really attended to before.


Today, I'm concerned about what Pranab Mukherjee unfolded from his infamous briefcase at the parliament. I actually know that the prices of ACs, SUVs, service charges and other commodities have gone up. And no, I did not google these facts and paste them here. I actually do know. I know that the tax bar has risen. I know that those who earn anywhere between 2-4 lakhs per annum will pay the same amount of tax irrespective of the fact that the latter earns twice as more than the former. I know that the amount we put in as our PF has reduced to 8% (if I'm not mistaken) and that we will get more in hand. I know that the rail fares are going to increase anywhere between 2 paise to 30 paise depending on the kinds of coaches we travel in and the distances we travel across. I know that Dinesh Trivedi, the ex-Railway Minister had to resign because of his proposal, thanks to Mamta Banerjee.


Today, I know that Mayawati is not the chief minister of my home state and that her opponent's son, Akhilesh Yadav is all set to take the reins, and has. I know that Rahul Gandhi's charm and anglicized Hindi didn't do the trick, neither did his reform proposals, nor his mother's so called iron-hold. 


It's not like I've struck a new-found interest in politics all of a sudden. I'm horrible with my GK and my disinterest in who did what to the other, and how, has not changed. What has however changed are my priorities. It matters. Suddenly. It wasn't even like I was looking forward to the yearly budget with bated breath, forget the UP elections.


I realize that I'm not at the same place anymore. I'm at a place where all these decisions do impact me, whether I like it or not. I do have to pay my tax, and more. I do live in a hugely inflated economy. I contribute to this economy. I am a part of it. Like I said, it's not like I'm directly or voluntarily involved, but one can't escape this vortex we call reforms.


It's not even like all this was forced down my throat. Things happen, perspectives broaden, priorities change... after all, who'd have ever thunk that I'd write a post on something like this? Not me. 


Growing up. I can't wait to see what I care about next.

2 comments: