Thursday, February 23, 2012

Trance

I'm a trance junkie. I believe in this sort of music, which half of the "more refined connoisseurs of music" would discard, dismiss and trash in a second. I, however, lurve this sort of music. But I must say that I do not enjoy all kinds of trance and am quite picky about the artistes and DJs I listen to. Music is such an art - it has enough room for the world and more. And everyone's got a space they can call theirs - an experience they can truly connect with. 


Why do I love trance? I think I've mentioned this many a time on both my posts here and on Facebook. I love that there's a kind of energy in this music that I haven't ever felt before. And because a lot of this music is free-flowing and doesn't allow for many lyrics, it gives me, the listener, a chance to engage with it at my own level - with whatever mood I am in. So I don't necessarily need to hunt for a track that'll cater to my mood - anything'll do. It works pretty darn well for the Nigela Lawson traits I see in myself. :) And if there are lyrics, I do not know where these DJs source the singers from because they just have THE most enigmatic voices that cushion you all around and make you sink in deeper into the music. 


And as is the case with trance music, they're chunked out in massive 1-2 hour episodes at a stretch, especially from the artistes I enjoy engaging with. These episodes are, to very crudely put it, an amazing mash-up of tracks by various artistes. Therefore there have been innumerable instances when I've come across a track 1 hour into the show only to never learn its name or artiste. It's perhaps the most painful part of trance music. And since you're so caught up with the music, seemingly living in an alternate universe, you tend to miss out on these small nitty-gritties. You let it go, enjoy the music and well, get lost again.


Until you're sitting at work one very fine day, chilling out on YouTube only to arrive at that one song whose name you've been hunting for ever! Such is a life lived with music. It sweeps you away - and into such a happy land filled with peace. Nothing more. Nothing less. 


I first came across this track on my way to Mangalore, staring out into the black nothingness of a train window, 2 years back. The mash-up didn't have artiste introductions. I let it be. I looped it a kazillion times that night and it became my Mangalore train track. It fit. The speed of the train, the time of the day and the tempo of the track matched. The cold January breeze, fit. The thundering of the train, fit. And then I came across the same track today - the original version. And I must share it with you.





And this is another version of the same - a club mix.





THIS is the closest version to the mash-up I first encountered 2 years back =)





We get no prizes for guessing what's gonna be looped on Babska's playlist today =) Have yourselves a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment