Sunday, February 19, 2012

School of Thought #365

I come from a school of thought which doesn't care as much about the means to an end as much as the results of the end itself. Yes, I am a staunch believer and follower of ethical practices, and having said that, there's not much more I care about when it comes to processes, the path we take and the nuances of the whats, whens and hows. 


Therefore, having said the aforementioned, what I ultimately care about is what I create, what my end results are and what I put on the table at the end of the day. That cannot be crap or second best or even passe for that matter. And when I say this, I refer to myself. I find it hard to be ordinary about something I know I can be exceptional about. I am a perfectionist. I am particular about standards. And when I'm talking about being the best, I have the need to put in the best I can according to MY standards, not anyone else's. I'm not a rank-grabber, as hard as that is to believe. It's just the way I am. And it's done me well. 


I'm saying this not because I have a need to talk about who I am as much as this introduction (of sorts) will give you a better context about what the post really is about.


So, it's been a week since I went all out and bought myself a camera. It's been the mother of all waits and well, it's led to a God-awesome end! Having said that, I haven't had the end of questions which I despise answering.


I find it absolutely annoying and irrelevant to answer questions such as - 


"hey, which one did you buy - nikon or canon?"
"which model ya?"
"which lens?"
"eyyy, how much did you buy it for ya?"
"tell me where you bought it from no?"
"let's talk about the buy"
"did you get a good deal?"


zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.


Why do I despise answering these questions? Well. Yes, it is important to know specifics like the brand you wish to buy, the model of the camera you wish to bust your savings on, the amount you wish to blow up on it and for which lens; but it's important one knew these specifics about what THEY want, not what OTHERS have. That's why. 


All I've noticed people do is ask me about MY buy. I've no issues sharing information, heck it's not like I have a secret stash of information on cameras that no one else does!!, but I do have an issue answering questions when people want the easy way out just for the heck of buying a camera. I have a MASSIVE problem with that. People wouldn't have these stupid questions if they actually went ahead and did some research and reading on their own. 


Because, if you really really really really REALLY want such an expensive buy and for the RIGHT reasons, it wouldn't matter what and why and how anyone else got what they did! It wouldn't matter if I spent 70quid or 30! It wouldn't matter which lens I have. Or which model. 


People are so concerned about what others have or are too damn lazy to do their own research that the real purpose is lost. And being the person that I am, I don't hide my discomfort or annoyance at being asked the questions I'm sure many have been plagued with.


And if I were to go a step further, people are more concerned about how a shot was taken rather than focus on the beauty of the shot itself. Which angle, which lens, at what ISO, in which environment, with what aperture, with how much zoom? You name it and there'd be a question on it! 


I've blogged about something like this on my older blog and I stand firm with my beliefs - you really can sift the wheat from the chaff at Go! And for those who really get what I'm talking about, you'd know that this isn't as much to do about the camera as much as it is about the larger perspective, that this isn't a bitching session as much as it is the need to vent frustrations long overdue.


So if I'm ignoring your questions, do understand why.


*phew* 

No comments:

Post a Comment