Sunday, April 10, 2011

Old and new, known and alien

Today's been a strange day, in a good weird strange way.


I ate ice cream from Amruth Ice Cream after soooooo long. This small teeny weeny parlour tucked away in Malleswaram, Bangalore has been such a well talked about place. We do boast of our ever famous Corner House that is a signature brand of Bangalore's ice cream parlours, but we also have these small home-made family enterprises that have stayed just the way we've always remembered them to be. Small, no frills attached, no pretensions served kinda places. The ones where you could just stop by and come out of with a scoop of home-made goodness for not much really. I remember going there years back - perhaps almost a decade ago - and having their figs and honey scoop. Mouth wateringly delicious. And today, when I was at Ubiquitous's place, eating a bowl full of happy ice cream knowing it was from Amruth just sealed the deal of the otherwise wonderful evening I was already having. 


Another small and non-pretentious place that has remained the way it always was in Mumbai, introduced to me by Ragini, is of course, Rustomji's ice cream parlour. Tucked off a street perpendicular to Marine Drive is this place I always stop by on my visits to Mumbai to eat their ever famous Biscuit ice cream. An almost garage looking space with freezers all over, paint peeling off the wall, letters falling off their name board, sounds of whirring and churning machines greet us with a few chairs as we sit and gobble down a fast melting and disappearing ice cream. *sigh* The goodness that one feels after eating from there is inexplicable. And when it involves ice cream served by happy old people, the experience just manifests into something bigger and better.  




Rustomji's is a must try. Always.


So far, so good. 


What made my day even more strange was my so-called re-introduction to two vegetables - tinda and parwal. That's what we call them in hindi - and that's all I know them by. 


Now, these two vegetables are sooooooo close to my experience of home i.e. Allahabad. And because Nani is home, ma got us these vegetables to eat. However, all I could have of them was a bite. So I had tinda ki sabzi minus the tinda for lunch and the aloo parwal ki sabzi minus the parwal for dinner. Not because I'm a fussy vegetable eater (which I am I confess), but because I've barely eaten them and because they taste so alien to me. It's freaky how something so 'home-like" can seem so alien. It just reinforces the fact that I'm not all north-Indian as people believe me to be. That somethings which are so known can actually be so unknown to me. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment